Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Gift of Physical Fitness

Today I really did not want to run.  I restarted the C25K program with my girlfriend Wendy to train to do a race in the near future.  It's kind of cold and windy here today but I'm committed to getting back into running and committed to my running partner.  I sent Wendy a text saying something along the lines of give me some mojo because I'm not feeling it today.  She sent me a text back of course filled of wonderful words of encouragement and so I went.

My son's school is about a 1/4 of a mile from our house and they have a great walking trail on the school grounds.  So off I go.  I start walking as the C25K program says and then begin to run.  In the beginning of the run I really didn't have any specific thoughts but I got about 15 minutes in and my legs felt great and I thought why am I complaining and having second thoughts about running today?  What a gift it is to be able to run. What a gift it is to be able to do any kind of physical fitness.

I have a pretty amazing group of women in my life who lift me up and encourage me.  Recently an email went out to these women on writing a daily gratitude list.  I have had a lot going on just like every other wife and mother out there but I was getting sort of a cold heart.  I typically see the glass as half full rather than half empty and I was beginning to feel empty.  Even in my work outs with my personal train that I LOVE and look forward to every time we work out I was beginning to not look forward to and during the work out just run out of gas.

So today I am so thankful and grateful to have the gift of physical fitness.  I feel so amazing and refreshed when the work out is over.  I love seeing the changes in my body and the little aches that come with it knowing that I worked my muscles and I worked them hard!  It's their little way of thanking me for a job well done.

So if you're like me and not feeling like getting out there and doing it...go do it.  You'll feel so much better for it.  For nothing more than the feeling of cool air on your face and to smell the fall air.

Here is a picture that I took today while out on my run.  This is on the track at my son's school.  I love this little walking track.


No comments: